I have been installing Exchange 2010 on some VM’s to build a test environment for BES10.1. I would like to share some of my notes.
- Install at least Exchange 2010 SP3. Installing an Exchange 2010 version before SP3 will require some hacks when installing on Windows 2012. Installing at least SP3 will save you time.
- Do not check the option to install any required features automatically in the Exchange 2010 setup. The installer will notify you it can not install any of the required features. Just install the required Windows features before starting the Exchange setup.
- Prepare to install the CAS role by installing the following Windows Features:
- Prepare to install the Hub Transport role by the installing following Windows Features:
- Prepare to install the Database role by the installing Windows Features:
- Hub Transport and database role: install the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Office 2010 filterpack and its latest servicepack
After installing the requirements you can run the Exchange 2010 setup as usual.